CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 7, 2008

Thank you Charlton Heston!


Charlton Heston passed away yesterday. I was sad to hear this but happy for him. Alzheimer's is such a terrible thing. I think in heaven, Charlton Heston will enjoy meeting so many of the people he played in biographical movies. I think he will also be surprised at the many stories of people finding their faith through his films that will greet him, like mine.
I grew up watching "The Ten Commandments". Arnold Friberg, the noted LDS artist designed sets and costumes. According to Wikipedia, "Friberg, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, also contributed the manner of Moses ordaining Joshua to his mission at the end of the film: hands on Joshua's head. Friberg, demonstrated the LDS manner of performing such ordinations, and DeMille liked it." In our ward building is a picture by Friberg of Moses parting the Red Sea and you can see that Heston was his model. As a child, I watched this film on a annual basis. It really taught me the story of Moses and to love an appreciate his story as an archetype of the Savior. The movie does a good job of showing how ungrateful, petulent, and disobedient the Hebrews were. Only those born in the wilderness could follow with a pure intent. Great symbolism for our own battles with sin and how it has to be completely left behind for us to fully follow the Savior.
Ben-Hur is an epic movie with stunning images. This was the only large picture I could find from the production but if you have a chance, check out the DVD at the video store. Judah Ben-Hur's story of conversion has always stuck with me. His joy at finding his loved ones healed of leporsy. His sorrow as he helps carry the cross beam. I also loved Victor Mature in "The Robe" for the same reason. "Ben-Hur" and "The Robe" were novels, then movies in popular culture that showed big strong men breaking down and finding faith in Jesus Christ. No wonder these stories are so well loved.
The last picture is from "The Hawaiians". My kids will recognize the title because I always tell them about the "Moo Kau's Aunty" character who looks at her kids and says, "You doctor, you lawyer, etc." Love it! I do the same thing on a lesser scale with our kids. I've asked them questions and made suggestions since they were little. I figuare things only happen if you dream big for your kids and plant seeds of faith in them. You can become whatever you want to in life but dream big! Aunty, on the other hand, is the shrewdest business woman on the islands and Heston's only match. She wants to build a dynasty. I want to build one too but I'm not as fanatical. I'm only telling my kids "Dentist, Lawyer, Optomestrist..." Haven't decided on the other three yet!
My sincere condolences to the Heston family and a thank you to Charlton Heston for the wonderful roles he played and especially these three that have touched me the most.



0 comments: